If you ever head of tiger skin pepper, you may wonder what it is? And if you ever eat it, you will fall in love with it. Tiger skin pepper is a famous Sichuan dish among the folk. Although simple ingredients are used, the taste is not that “simple”.
In fact, this tiger skin peppers are sautéed green peppers with mostly garlic, then ginger and spring onions. Then we need just another couple of seasonings for example cooking wine, black vinegar and light soy sauce.
I will introduce the name of this dish a little bit. There are many interesting dish names in Sichuan cuisine for example ant climbing a tree(蚂蚁上树). This name theory behind this sautéed green pepper is quite similar with that dish. The whole green peppers will be sautéed in wok until the skins become crinkly, which looks like the figure of a tiger skin. That’s why it is named as Tiger Skin Green Peppers.
There are other variations about this dish. Some loves to add vinegar at the very end of the stir-frying process while others might choose to garnish some spices rather than the black vinegar. You can choose what you like.
The version introduced today is with black vinegar, which helps to create a slightly garlic sour taste on the surface and slightly sweet taste when you bit the inner part.
If you cannot eat that spicy, do remove the seeds of the peppers. However be careful with your hand during the process. Wearing a plastic glove is a good choice.
Famous common and folk Sichuan dish--Tiger Skin Peppers(sauteed green peppers with garlic)
- 6~10 long green peppers
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 root ginger
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Cap the green peppers and remove the seeds. If you like spicy taste a lot, you can keep the seeds inside.
- Cut garlic, ginger and spring onions into small pieces.
- Heat up around 1 tablespoon cooking oil in wok and then add the green peppers in to sauté until the skins become slightly crinkly. Turn the peppers from time and time to water the cooking process.
- Add 1 tablespoon cooking wine, 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce, ginger, half of chopped garlic and half of chopped spring onions in to stir-fry for around 1 minute.
- Add salt, 2 teaspoons black vinegar and the left garlic as well as left spring onions in. Continue to cook until all the sauces are mixed thoroughly.
- Transfer the green peppers out firstly and then top them with the stir-fried garlic, ginger and spring onion pieces.
You can replace the black vinegar with other spices to make it to another flavor.