Sweet dessert for summer hot days and enjoy mango in the right season.
This mango pudding is quite popular in Chinese dessert shops where lots of yummy and interesting dishes are served for example this sticky rice balls over mango smoothie, red bean soup and nuomici. I am not a sweet tooth, but I just love sweet dessert in those sun-shinning days.
In China, we get lots of ways to make this mango pudding, some use gelatin as instructed in the following recipe or pudding powder designed for homemade pudding. To get a pure and smooth taste, remember to strain the mixture!!! Since I do not have ramakins in my kitchen, I use small bowls and cups directly.
Chinese style mango pudding
- 3 middle size mature mangoes(fresh mango cubes 1 pound)
- 2 packet unflavored gelatin sheets (10g )
- 160ml milk or coconut milk
- 60ml heavy cream, chilled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or more if needed
- Soak gelatin sheet in cold water until soft.
- In a small pot, heat half of the milk, sugar and soaked gelatin over slow fire. Keep stirring and heat until sugar and gelatin dissolve completely. Remove from heat and set aside to cool down.
- Cut fresh mango in half and then dice the fresh mangos out. Place most of the mango cubes in blender and then add the left half milk or coconut milk; blend until very smooth.
- Mix mango smooth with milk prepared in step 1, add heavy cream too. Stir until evenly combined. And strain the mixture. You may need to use a spatula to help the mixture go through the strainer. Pour the mixture to your container or ramekins. Move to refrigerator for around 2 to 3 hours until completely set.
- Before eating, decorate with left mango cubes and mint leaves. Enjoy!
If you skip milk, coconut milk, or heavy cream and use coconut water only, then you will get the following version.