Chinese broccoli stir-fry in spicy pepper and garlic sauce!
I would love to introduce another common Chinese veggie today—Chinese broccoli. Chinese broccoli is named as 芥兰 in Chinese and is originated from Guangdong province of China. It belongs to Cruciferae and contains really high amount of vitamin C and carotene. Due to the nutrition fact, it is usually considered a healthy veggie that can help to lower cholesterol level.
Following is a picture of Chinese broccoli.
Chinese broccoli has a crispy stem and slightly bitter leaves. It is usually used in stir-fry recipes. Usually sugar or cooking wine is added to reduce the bitter taste bought by the leavers.
One of the most famous Chinese broccoli dishes is Chines broccoli with oyster sauce(蚝油芥兰).
To treat the Chines broccoli, if the ones bought are really fresh and young, just separate the stalk with the leavers or we need to trim the old section on the ends of stalk and discard.
The cooking process is quite similar. Before stir-frying, we need to blend the broccoli firstly.
When rinsing in boiling water, put the stem part firstly and lay the leavers on top around 1/2 minute later.
- 1 pound of Chinese broccoli (Gai Lan)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 small chili peppers, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Separate the stalk with the leavers and wash carefully. Trim and discard the old section at the end of the stalk if necessary.
- Peel cloves and cut garlic and chili pepper into small pieces. In a small bowl, mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water; mix well and set aside.
- Prepare a large wok, bring some water to a boiling. Add several drops of cooking oil and place the stalk firstly. After ½ minutes, place the leaves in to cook another half minute. Transfer out and drain.
- Heat up cooking oil in pan; add garlic and chili pepper to stir-fry until aroma. Return rinsed Chinese broccoli and pour in water starch, salt and sesame oil. Mix well and transfer to serving plate.