Beef chow fun(pan-fried wide rice noodles) is one of my favorite Cantonese dishes. It is considered as a snack or sometimes a staple food and one of the most basic Cantonese he fun dishes.
Hefen (sometimes called as ho fun)used in this beef chow fun recipe is a kind of band rice noodles or wide rice noodles popular in southern china especially in Guangdong province. I fall I love it when I firstly had a small bowl of he fun soup. And this stir fry he fun with beef, spring onion, bean sprout and Chinese chives.It belongs to those 15 minutes that can totally win my heart.
Then for the beef chow fun, let’s take a look at the ingredients.
The most difficult part of this dish is to make a tender taste of the beef and make sure that you do not break the hefen during the process.
In order to keep the beef a tender taste, firstly after slicing, garnish some water with the beef and then grasp well, letting them absorb enough water and then add 1 teaspoon light soy sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons cooking wine and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil to marinade for around 15 minutes.And the hefen usually is available in package and sometimes they may stick with each other. Do separate them before frying.
Firstly heat up oil in wok and stir-fry the beef. Transfer it out as long as the color changes. Then all the oil should be poured out, leaving a clean wok to continue stir-fry the hefen along with bean sprouts and purple onions (if you want to add some).And then remove the wok off the fire and then add beef, Chinese chives and spring onions.
- 4 oz. beef
- 1 pound wide rice noodle (heifen)
- 1 small bunch of Chinese chive; cut into sections around 10cm long
- 3 spring onions
- 1 small bunch of bean sprouts
- 1/4 middle size purple onion
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or other cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Cut beef into thin slices, put into a bowl. Grasp well with water to let beef slices absorb enough water. And then add all of ingredients for marinade sauce to marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- Separate the rice noodles and cut spring onion, Chinese chives into sections around 10 minutes long ; Cut purple onions into small shreds too.
- Heat up cooking oil in wok. Add beef slices in to cook around half minute or just until the color of beef slices changes. Transfer the beef slices out and also pour the oil out.
- Heat the wok up, add rice noodle with bean sprout and purple onions together. Stir-fry with the method of stir-fry noodles. Pick part of the ingredients up and shake loose. Repeat the process to cook around 2 minutes.
- Move the wok from the fire, add spring onions, Chinese chives and beef slices in. Pour in light soy sauce and dark soy sauce. Return the wok to fire and mix well quickly.
- Garnish some chopped spring onions and let’s enjoy time.
I do not add salt since my soy sauce contains salt. Do add some according to your taste and the brand of soy sauce used.